Tuesday, August 31

Dressed me up in womens' clothes, messed around with gender roles. Line my eyes and call me pretty.


So, I've changed jobs. So far, I like it.
On my first day, I had to fill in the usual forms. When it came to the 'optional' equal opportunities form, I was quite happy ticking away at the boxes until I came across the section about sexual orientation. I can understand company's wanting to 'measure' their own staffing, whilst also showing they don't discriminate, but I was a little taken aback over what I felt was a very personal question. But, after thinking about it for a while, I guess some people are completely happy disclosing their sexual preferences and yet aren't as happy stating their religion, for example.
There was a box for "Prefer not to say", but I drew a new tick box and labelled it 'Metrosexual', just to see if anybody commented on it.
Nothing yet.

6 parlez:

gekkogirl said...

I sooo want someone to reply. I really, really hope that they do :-)

johnnytownmouse said...

I don't like being measured. I think it reifies abstract qualities into needless categories until the categories define us rather than us defining them. And it's weird that I think that, because I'm what category-makers would call a social scientist. Maybe my praxis as a social scientist is redefining what the category of a social scientist entails... :p

bedshaped said...

gekkogirl,
I think their window of opportunity has expired. Shame.

johnnytownmouse,
Thanks for the comment. I have to admit though, I have no idea what you said.

Sharon said...

I had to fill out a similar form the other day. Can't get my head around why organisations need to show an understanding of equality and then force people into categorising themselves. I left the boxes blank, but was tempted to add 'Jedi' to the religion question. Am sure someone, somewhere, must have beaten me to it though.

johnnytownmouse said...

Sorry! All I meant was: good job on making your own category. You spoke Truth to Power. Or something.

daphne said...

"Jedi!" Brilliant!!!

I love that companies pretend to care who they have and what those people want.

At my job the other day we had to fill out these anonymous HR (that's "human resources" in case the vernacular doesn't translate transatlantically) forms, listing things the honchos could do to "improve work conditions.

Hmmm...this MAY be brought on by the recent exodus of much-needed/grossly-neglected mid level managers, yes?

So anyway, while everyone else wrote bullshit like "More inter-departmental communication initiatives," and "A better work/life balance for associates," I wrote "beer in vending machines."

Will my cries be heard, do you think?