Tuesday, March 28

Light up, light up....As if you have a choice.

Not much seems to be making sense at the moment.

I'm left feeling choked by frustration.

In other news, I had somebody out this morning to value my house.
But that's a whole different story.

I haven't slept well for a while now. Even when I lie there, knowing full well that I'm near exhausted, I still manage to stay awake to watch the end of the DVD I play.

To help wind myself down, I'm now in the middle of my second glass of cheap, shitty wine and I'm about to roll up another spliff.

I'm chuffed to fuckery about getting my Radiohead tickets, but I can't seem to show it at the moment. I see the current 'going rate' is now over £100, which is ridiculous, but that's a whole new post!

I think now maybe a good time to try and finish off drawing that tattoo of mine.

6 parlez:

swisslet said...

I idly tried for radiohead tickets during the pre-sale as one of my friends asked me to. I didn't try very hard though. I've seen Radiohead many times and in hugely different venues, from the whipround disco at the Univeristy of Warwick student union, through Reading 95, Glastonbury 2004, A big top, Oxford South Park.... the last time I saw them though, I swore I would never make the effort again. It was the "Hail to the Thief" tour and it was at the Nottingham Arena. I still stumble across reviews of the gig that talk in an awestruck whisper about how brilliant it was, but also some about how terrible they were.

I thought they were shocking. They played for 2 hours and I think they did one proper song. The rest was electronic noodling, mainly done with their backs to the audience. Even Ed O'Brien looked pissed off with it. I thought they looked deeply resentful of the fact that they had an audience and decided they would do everything they could to get rid of it.

Really, really disappointing and more than a little insulting.

They can make the music they like, of course.... but if you don't want to play ball with an arena crowd, don't book an arena.

I've stuck with them for a long time, and I thought that "Kid A", "Amnesiac" and "Hail to the Thief" are all partially sucessful albums with some great tracks on. I don't mind them being awkward, but.... well.... I hope they snap out of it soon.

I do hope they're good though. I caught the video to "no surprises" on VH2 yesterday (don't ask), and I was reminded all over again quite how brilliant a band they can be.

ST

SL said...

Hey bedshaped

I know the sleep thing all too well. The trick, I found at least, is to stop thinking and worrying about it and use the time instead to work out the things that are frustrating you. Sleep will come when you need it, and believe me, when you stop thinking about it, it'll come that much easier.

bedshaped said...

swisstoni,

Watching Radiohead play live is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.
First, there's the excitement of being in the presence of something quite beautiful and wonderful.
Then, there's the familiar feeling inside when all the right buttons are pressed.
And finally, there's the feeling of satisfaction and yet still wanting more.

There will undoubtedly be people reading the above wondering what the fuck I'm talking about! UK humour, I apologise.

Anyway....
I know what you mean though. I've seen them twice before. Once in the Tent at Hyde Park, which was a great gig, even though they were really pushing Kid A at the time. The other time was their (in)famous set at Glastonbury. I don't think they will ever top that gig in my own eyes.

I don't mind the experimental side of them and at least it shows they want to grow musically. I wonder if people would have bored of them much quicker, had they stuck to their familiar formula.

I'm expecting some new stuff, mixed with some experimental tunes, but I just hope they grace us with some of the songs that we all know and love.

sl,
Easier said than done, my friend.

Joe said...

I'm glad I'm catching them at a festival. They've got to that arena size now...and I don't want to go to an arena gig. They seem like such soul-less affairs. They can be difficult, which means their fans can be even more difficult. I think they're just wonderful.

Krista said...

I'll join you in the frustration. Not much makes sense here either.

Maybe you'll post pics of the drawing when it's done?

bedshaped said...

joe,
Yeah, I know what you mean about the Arena atmosphere.
That's what attracted me to these gigs. No Arena sized places in sight, just smallish venues with an average capacity of 1,000.
The atmosphere inside there will be so electric and when the lights go down, and the "hummmmmmmmmm" comes in over the speakers....you just can't beat that feeling!

phx,
Frustration seems to be growing somewhat.

It's unlikely that I will post any pics of my sketches. It's more likely that I will post something of the finished piece....that's if I can ever get this drawing right!