Monday, February 20

I will never resign myself from the trial I seek.

Today, I've been on another training course.
Well....this particular course isn't technically a training course par se, mainly because most of it involves driving various cars around a race track.

There was a little 'training', which mostly involved us being re-told about all the new technology we have available on our new cars. Oh and also we were told that women now make up 50% of the new car buying market and even when the car isn't for them, they still make 80% of the final buying decisions.
It's true when I think about it though, because many's a time I will spend time with a guy talking about engine ranges, fuel consumption, storage space and all the other boring shit and then when it comes to the crunch of him making a decision and saying "Yes, I'll order one of those please", he usually says, "I'll just have to check with 'Mission Control' or 'The Other Half' or some such like, clearly indicating that it's his partner who makes the final decisions!

Besides the 'classroom' stuff, I've driven a new Honda Civic that looks like something out of a futuristic movie, with an interior control panel that's not unlike the Starship Enterprise. I've put the VW Golf through it's paces with some (even if I say so myself) impressive handbrake turns. Thrown the new Toyota Yaris, VW Polo and Renault Clio around a small chicane course and tested their ABS braking. Done some high speed laps in a Ford Focus, pushing it's suspension system to the max and then got taken around the race track at 140mph in a new Ford Focus ST by a very nice girl who just happens to be a rally driver, of sorts.
Perks of the job, I guess.

Today aside, the weekend turned out to be pretty uneventful, with the exception of being reminded just how much of a complete wanker some guys can be.

I've not long got back and the rest of the evening will see me sipping cheap nasty white wine, listening to some nice chilled out music and wondering what the hell some people see in each other.
My solace is that I've just lit some nice scented sticks and they smell lovely.

Thanks for the small things, huh.

15 parlez:

surly girl said...

since we're being picky, it's "per se".

that aside, i drive an 04 seat ibiza 1.8 20v turbo. the fr version. with the 150 bhp and the sports kit. and the race spec gearbox and the (very) harsh suspension. and i fucking love it. can i have a job?

surly girl said...

oh, amd i am an attention-seeking nightmare. did i mention that?

bedshaped said...

surly girl,
Since you've now pointed out my crappy spelling, I shan't go back to change it and make others wander what you're talking about!

I have no idea what that car is that you've described, but it sounds mighty powerful.
If you were a guy, I'd have to suspect you're possibly making up for a lack in 'other departments'!

Would you be interested in a job swap then? I think I can handle fish fingers and SpongeBob in small portions.

SL said...

SpongeBob comes in small portions?

That Civic sounds funky. Cars are cars to me, but the more toys the better!

x said...

what's with the cheap wine? there's no such a thing as cheap wine, there's only expensive vinegar.

what the hell some people see in each other: some people don't "see" anymore. they just go through the motions and do what they are told.
we are not these people (so open the good wine)

surly girl said...

my car rocks, i am lacking nothing. job swap is a good call.

are we friends again?

no more picky spelling?

surly girl said...

(there may be wine though)

bedshaped said...

Of course we're friends again, surly girl.
I'll leave the wine selection up to you while I slip off and put some James Blunt on.
At this point, I should probably point out that my reply to your reply on your blog may have you flicking more than V's at me.

I should apologise now...and I do.

bedshaped said...

sl,
Take it from me, SpongeBob is best taken in small portions!

I agree with you, a car is a car.
And I sell them, so I'm supposed to get all excited about new toys like voice control, bluetooth technology, adaptive headlights that turn when you turn the steering wheel and blah blah blah.
So long as it starts and gets me to where I want to go, then I'm happy.
The Civic look nice, but considering the Honda market is swamped with drivers over 50, I can't help but think they've shot themselves in the foot big style with this one.
Anyway, enough about cars, they bore the fuck out of me.

surly girl said...

haven't been back, and apart from James Cunt will let you off. see you in front of the fire...

bedshaped said...

chloe,
Take it from me, this is the UK and we have lot's of cheap wine here.
It's not a preferred choice, more like one that suits my budget at the moment.
My plans to be drinking very expensive champers don't seem to be coming into fuition just yet.

On the second point....
I think you're referring to people who've been in a relationship for a while....I wasn't.

SL said...

So long as it starts and gets me to where I want to go, then I'm happy.

A man after my own heart. Pass me a glass of shitty wine.

Joe said...

i bought some cheap red wine from tescos the other day. nearly went blind. still have a bottle left, don't know whether to drink it or clean the oven with it.

Admin said...

I would love that new honda civic. And I love when you write about cars.

bedshaped said...

sl,
That puts us both in the 'easily pleased' catagory.

joe,
The trick is, when the wine is that cheap and shitty that it's almost impossible to drink....mix it with some other cheap shitty wine and voila....drinkable wine or....an industrial strength oveen cleaner.
hang on, you've given me an idea!

vesper,
I may disappoint then, because even though it's part of my job, I find talking about cars about as interesting as scraping dog shit out of the soles of my shoes with a toothpick.
I must admit, the new Civic is certainly a 'head turner' but it drives like a boxy box thingy on wheels.