Sunday, February 12

Don`t give up on the dream, don`t give up on the wanting and everything that`s true.

Strange weekend.
And that pretty much sums it up.

That shitty day is just around the corner....
I still don't understand the meaning of it all. All the crap that goes with people (guys mostly) showing their love and affection to their partners, showering them with gifts which are interpreted as "I love you".
It's more like a dictatorship of affection....
More like a forced affection to keep the balance.

When I've been in relationships during Valentines day, I've never made a big fuss about it. In fact, I've always been quite vocal with my partner about how crappy the whole thing is. They've always been understanding, but it still caused an unnecessary amount of pressure on me to do the card, present, take them out routine, because I didn't want to be seen by others as a miserable or unloving shit.
I never needed any excuse to show partners how much I loved/cared for them. When I wanted to buy them something, or take them out impromptu, or leave them a little note saying "I love you", then I just did it.

Card manufacturers are the only people who gain from this sort of thing. And restaurants, of course. How frustrating is it trying to book a table for 2 on Valentines night?
Damn frustrating, I can tell you.

Bollocks to the whole thing.

Now excuse my language and excuse me while I go drown my sorrows with some cheap shitty wine.

11 parlez:

Spinsterella said...

I've never sent a Valentine's Card in my life, even on the (admittedly rare) occasions when I've had a boyfriend.

It's all a load of bollocks, as you, and everybody with a brain, are well aware.

Ally said...

I'm with you all the way. It's a load of bollocks and a feel-good, guilt-assuaging exercise for people who don't demonstrate how much they care for their partners the rest of the time.

My crazy ex used to shower me with gifts on Valentines, birthdays and christmas and the rest of the time was an arsehole. It didn't make up for it.

[grouch].

NML/Natalie said...

Valentine's is a load of shite! Nuff said.

beth said...

Never mind all that rubbish - get on with telling us about The Strokes!

x said...

V day sucks. And i hate the kitschy cards and stuffed animals.
You go have some wine and listen to some songs. xx

Joe said...

i'm with the "it's all bollocks" crowd. bollocks!

Anonymous said...

I hated V-day until I met imp.
She really makes a fuss of me (and the rest of the year, too) so today I'm just irritatingly happy.

I'll go away then now, shall I? You can all talk about me once I've gone....

Anonymous said...

Hi Bedshaped.

I found this while surfing. I think it can be applied to us humans too.

TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS
(from a dog's viewpoint)

1) Any separation from you will be very painful.
2) Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3) Place your trust in me - it is crucial for my well-being.
4) Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you!
5) Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
6) Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
7) Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth but I choose not to bite you.
8) Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long or my heart may be getting old and weak.
9)Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.
10) Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it," or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

bedshaped said...

spinsterella,
I'm down with you on that one!

ally,
I think maybe some guys use it as an excuse to make up for the fact that most of the time they are arseholes!

duch,
Maybe when I can afford it, I will start buying something decent.

nml,
We could start a valentineisshit club.2 members and counting....

beth,
Strokes update a comin'. Patience!

chloe,
Nail on the head girl!

joe,
You're welcome to join the club.
By the way, I got the mp3 downloads, thanks for those. I'm thinking...Reel Big Fish kinda sound. I like them tho'.

funny thing,
You're excused.

Right everybody, let's all crowd round and talk about funny thing!

bedshaped said...

sara jane,
Nice to see you still stop by here.
yeah, I can see what you mean.

Anonymous said...

I always see
but seldom speak